2021 Scholarship Applications are now CLOSED.
Closing Date: Wednesday 20 May, 2020
(Closing dates for 2022 scholarships are to be advised when available)
ACER Scholarship Exam Date: Saturday 6 June, 2020
RGS Scholarships are available for Boarding and Day Students entering Year 7 or Year 10 only and are academic in nature. They are awarded based on school performance and ability. The Scholarship process allows the School to recognise children based on their potential to contribute to and derive great benefit from The Rockhampton Grammar School.
Scholarships are awarded on the basis of the applicant's performance in the following areas:
- A written cover letter to the Headmaster (Dr Phillip Moulds) about yourself, including what contributions you would make to The Rockhampton Grammar School and what opportunities a Scholarship could provide to you at the School, and how you would capitalise on them
- The applicant’s alignment with the School's culture and values
- The applicant’s school reports (last two years) and most recent NAPLAN results
- The applicant’s ACER Scholarship test results
- A successful interview
The Rockhampton Grammar School (RGS) will award 50% and 75% Scholarships applicable to Tuition, and where applicable, Boarding Fees, only. These partial Scholarships therefore do not apply to any other School fees, including but not limited to levies, uniforms, textbooks and supplies, co-curricular costs, excursions etc.
The duration of the Scholarship awarded is six years for students entering in Year 7 and three years for students entering in Year 10, subject to the student’s continuing academic performance and adherence to School policies and guidelines and participation in the life of the School.
The offer of Scholarships is made to all members of the community, including current RGS students. Please note: RGS students are not advantaged compared to any other student; all applications will be assessed on their merit and outcomes of the Scholarship exam.
How to Apply
Parents are required to complete the following by Wednesday 20 May, 2020:
- Register for the ACER Scholarship exam here (instructions below).
- Non-current RGS students must submit a separate Application for Admission to The Rockhampton Grammar School, including all supporting documentation. You can submit an online enrolment Application here.
- The child is to write a cover letter of self-introduction to Headmaster Dr Phillip Moulds (single sided, A4 sheet only), including what contributions he or she would make to The Rockhampton Grammar School and what opportunities a Scholarship could provide to the student at the School, and how he or she would capitalise on them.
- Submit the cover letter with a full and complete Application for Admission to email@example.com. If you have already applied to the School, there is no need to submit a new Application for Admission; we will have that on file. Just submit the cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
About the Scholarship Exam
The Rockhampton Grammar School will administer the The ACER Scholarship Test at the School on Saturday 6 June, 2020. This test is used by approximately 250 independent schools across Australia. The exam will assess a range of skills such as the ability to interpret, infer, deduce and think critically. The test is not curriculum based and does not test the ability to retrieve learned knowledge. The test is comprised of multiple choice Humanities and Mathematics/Science plus two essays or Written Expression. The essays will demonstrate the applicant's ability to generate ideas as well as the linguistic production, organisation and expression of those ideas.
How to Register for ACER Scholarship Exam
- You must register for the ACER Scholarship exam via this link: http://scholarships.acer.edu.au/intro/1910 prior to Wednesday 20 May, 2020.
- Please note that registration for the ACER Scholarship exam includes a $110 registration fee, payable on-line.
- Register for Level 1 if the student is entering Year 7 in 2021.
- Register for Level 2 if the student is entering Year 10 in 2021.
- Practice material is available to assist students preparing for the exam. Please see ACER Preparing for the Test page, which has links to the practice materials available for purchase. You can attain practice material when you Register for the exam.
- Registered families will receive e-confirmation and further information from the School, sent to your nominated email address.
- The student must sit the exam in person at the School on Saturday 6 June, 2020 from 9.00am through 1.00pm.
Note: All applicants will be notified of the outcome of their application for a Scholarship by end of August 2020. The decision to award a Scholarship and the level of assistance granted is entirely at the discretion of the Headmaster. No correspondence will be entered into with regard to such decisions.
Please go here to learn more and apply for a Bursary. Bursaries are available to Boarding and Day Students from Year 7 to 12 and are made available based on financial need.
Need more Information?
Please call Registrar, Mrs Marissa Holloway on 1300 GRAMMAR or email email@example.com