Scholarships and Bursaries
Don't miss this opportunity!
Applications for 2019 Scholarships and Bursaries to one of the Top Country Schools in Australia will be open soon to Boarding and Day Students.
Bursaries are available to Boarding and Day Students from Year 7 to 12 and are made available based on financial need. Scholarships are available for Boarding and Day Students entering Year 7 2019 or Year 10 2019 only and are academic in nature. They are awarded based on school performance and ability.
Please return to this site soon for 2019 Application due dates.
Applications for the 2018 enrolment year are now closed.
Bursaries are available to Boarding and Day Students from Year 7 to 12 and are made available based on financial need. For Bursaries information, please click here.
Scholarships are available for Boarding and Day Students entering Year 7 2018 or Year 10 2018 only and are academic in nature. They are awarded based on school performance and ability. For Scholarship information, read all the information below.
Scholarships are academic in nature and are awarded on the basis of the applicant's performance in the following areas:
- A written cover letter to the Headmaster (Dr Phillip Moulds) about yourself, including what contributions you would make to The Rockhampton Grammar School and what opportunities a scholarship could provide to you at the School, and how you would capitalise on them
- The applicant’s alignment with the School's culture and values
- The applicant’s school reports (last two years) and most recent NAPLAN results
- The applicant’s ACER Scholarship test results
- A successful interview
The Rockhampton Grammar School (RGS) will award 50% and 75% Scholarships applicable to Tuition, and where applicable, Boarding Fees only. These partial scholarships therefore do not apply to any other School fees, including but not limited to levies, uniforms, textbooks and supplies, co-curricular costs, excursions etc.
The duration of the Scholarship awarded is six years for students entering in Year 7 and three years for students entering in Year 10, subject to the student’s continuing academic performance and adherence to School policies and guidelines and participation in the life of the School.
The offer of Scholarships is made to all members of the community, including current RGS students. (Note: RGS students are not advantaged compared to any other student; all applications will be assessed on their merit and outcomes of the Scholarship exam.)
About the Scholarship Exam
The Rockhampton Grammar School will administer the The ACER Scholarship Test on 12 August. This test is used by approximately 250 independent schools across Australia. The exam will assess a range of skills such as the ability to interpret, infer, deduce and think critically. The test is not curriculum based and does not test the ability to retrieve learned knowledge. The test is comprised of multiple choice Humanities and Mathematics/Science plus two essays or Written Expression. The essays will demonstrate the applicant's ability to generate ideas as well as the linguistic production, organisation and expression of those ideas.
The cost to sit the exam is $110 per student. Parents pay this fee when they apply for a scholarship online.
What do I do now and how do I apply?
- Register for the Scholarship exam by 31 July 2017;
- Non-current RGS students must submit a separate Application for Admission to The Rockhampton Grammar School. An Application for Admission is available at http://www.rgs.qld.edu.au/Application-and-procedures
- The child is to write a cover letter of self-introduction to Headmaster Dr Phillip Moulds (single sided, A4 sheet only), including what contributions he or she would make to The Rockhampton Grammar School and what opportunities a scholarship could provide to the student at the School, and how he or she would capitalise on them.
- Submit the letter with a full and complete Application for Admission to The Rockhampton Grammar School to email@example.com (If you have already applied to the School, there is no need to submit a new Application for Admission; we will have that on file. Just submit the letter to firstname.lastname@example.org )
To Register for the Scholarship Exam by 31 July, which includes a $110 registration fee, payable on-line:
- Go to https://scholarships.acer.edu.au/intro/1138
- Register for Level 1 if the student is entering Year 7 in 2018.
- Register for Level 2 if the student is entering year 10 in 2018.
- Registrations close on 31 July. If you miss the deadline you will NOT be eligible for a 2018 Scholarship.rNote that practice material is available to assist students preparing for the exam. Please see ACER Preparing for the Test page, which has links to the practice materials available for purchase. You can attain practice material when you Register for the exam.
Registered families will receive e-confirmation and further information from the School, sent to your nominated email address.
- The student must sit the exam in person at the School on Saturday 12 August 2017 from 9.00am through 1.00pm
Note: All applicants will be notified of the outcome of their application for a scholarship in early September. The decision to award a scholarship and the level of assistance granted is entirely at the discretion of the Headmaster. No correspondence will be entered into with regard to such decisions.
Why does The Rockhampton Grammar School offer Scholarships?
Scholarships (and bursaries) demonstrate the School’s commitment to Central Queenslanders, their academic success and their character development. The Scholarship process allows the School to recognise children based on their potential to contribute to and derive great benefit from The Rockhampton Grammar School. Our expectation is that every student will seek to do his or her personal best in all that they undertake. We value endeavour, respect, honesty and trustworthiness, responsibility, integrity, democracy and community. Our Scholarship programme reflects these values especially in the ways we treat others, with consideration and regard; welcome diversity; and commit ourselves to the pursuit of the common good.
What scholarships are available at RGS?
Scholarships are available to students entering Year 7 and Year 10 and are available to students from all schools, including RGS. Scholarships apply to Day and Boarding students and cover 50% or 75% of full tuition and, if boarding, boarding fees.
What is the difference between a scholarship and a bursary?
A scholarship is based on a student’s academic performance and ability. A Bursary is awarded based on financial need and not academics.
What percentage of fees does a scholarship cover?
RGS Scholarships are awarded to students entering Year 7 or Year 10 for a duration of 3 or 6 years respectively, as long as the student maintains his or her grades and contributes to the School community. Scholarships are awarded at 50% or 75%, which means parents’ fees account for 50% or 25% of tuition only (Day Student) OR 50% or 25% of tuition and boarding fees (Boarding Student).
Are scholarships available to current RGS students?
Yes. All RGS students entering Year 7 or Year 10 in 2018 are eligible. They register and apply the same way as students from other schools, except there is no need to file an Application for Admission to the School. The applicant is still required to submit a letter to the Headmaster, however, as described above.
Do scholarships apply to boarding fees?
Yes. 50% and 75% Scholarships apply to combined boarding and tuition fees for Boarding Students.
How do I apply?
Parents, please refer to the full instructions found at this page. Simply, if you are a non RGS student you must submit a full Application for Admission to The Rockhampton Grammar School (including a cover letter addressed to the Headmaster and emailed to email@example.com) and register for the ACER exam. RGS students just need to register for the Scholarship exam and submit a cover letter to the Headmaster (emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org). You will receive confirmation and more information from the School after we receive your application and registration. Successful candidates will be notified and will be required to attend an interview with the Headmaster or his delegate.
How does the School finance scholarships?
Scholarships recipients, like all students, attract Commonwealth and State funding and are NOT funded by current RGS parents' School Fees. The Scholarship represents 50% to 75% of tuition and boarding fees only. All other costs are the responsibility of the recipient’s family or guardian.
Is this information I supply confidential?
All information provided by you in your application is confidential. The information collected helps us assess your application for scholarship. The supply of this information by you is voluntary. However, if you do not supply all the requested information we may not be able to assess your application.
Need more information?
Please call Registrar, Miss Marissa Buchanan on 1300 GRAMMAR.